There are a few ways that you can go about checking the status of your tax refund. The actually makes this easy for you to do. The following are some things you should know when you want to check for information about your refund.
1. One way to check your refund is to go the IRS website and search for the where’s my refund button. It is an interactive process where you answer a few simple questions. You will need to know your tax payer identification number, the status you used for filing and the dollar amount of your refund. This system is available at all times. You can find out if your information has been received and is being processed and also what date you can expect your refund.
2. Information should be available three days after the IRS sends you information saying the have received your return. This is when you e-file. If you mail in your return it will usually take three or four weeks for your information to be available.
3. Where’s my refund also has links to information about your individual situation if you need them. For example if you did not receive your refund within a certain amount of days after the IRS said you should, you can start action to trace your refund.
4. Anyone who is visually impaired can also use this service if they use they have the correct equipment.
5. For taxpayers who do not have access to the Internet or who would rather use the phone, that is an option as well. You can call the IRS hot line number and enter the same information you would need for where’s my refund.
6. The IRS now even has a smart-phone app that allows tax payers to check on their refund status. You can download the app from the Apple store or the Android store. The download is a free download and easy to use.
- What To Do With That Small Business Tax Refund That’s Burning A Hole In Your Pocket (2010taxes.org)
- Best Use of the Tax Refund (2011tax.org)